Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Need to know how to get Coal in Palworld? Finding this rare crafting material sometimes feels like searching for a needle in a haystack in the Archipelago’s sprawling biomes. But, if you want a Refined Metal Pickaxe, Ultra Spheres, or a powerful Assault Rifle, you’ll need to farm Coal at some point.
For more general tips and tricks on staying alive in the archipelago, head to our Palworld beginner’s guide. Otherwise, we also have guides covering how to get Ancient Civilization Parts, how to get kindling, how to get a Huge Dragon Egg, and how to get Sulfur.
How can you get Coal in Palworld
To get Coal in Palworld, you’ll need to mine Coal deposits. You can also get Coal from catching some Pals like Blazamut and Menasting. But your best best is mining. Coal deposits are black clumps of rock with a shiny veneer, similar in shape and size to standard Stone and Ore deposits. Vendors like Wandering Merchants and even the Black Marketeers don’t have Coal with them. Farming sessions with high-end items will let you get more Coal for items like ammunition, structures, and weapons.
All Palworld coal locations
Here are several coordinates where we found Coal in Palworld:
- Head west from the Deep Sand Dunes fast travel point to coordinates (319, 498) and you’ll spot a cluster of 8 Coal nodes.
- Move south from the Sealed Realm of the Swift fast travel point to coordinates (189, -39). You’ll find 6 Coal nodes here.
- Head west from the Sealed Realm of the Guardian fast travel point to coordinates (288, -21) and you’ll spot 6 Coal nodes. You can also find Stone and Ore nearby. It’s perfect for a full-blown farm with your Pals and base.
- Northeast from the Sealed Realm of the Winged Tyrant teleport point is another good location. At coordinates (-96, 120), it has 6 Coal nodes in the desert biome.
- The area near the Anubis boss at coordinates (-125, -84) has 6 Coal nodes as well.
- Other locations for natural Coal deposits are Hypocrite Hill, Investigator’s Fork, FIsherman’s Point, the Beach of Everlasting Summer, and the mountain near the PIDF tower. The last one will be a test of your stamina if you don’t have one of the fastest mounts in Palworld.
Coal deposits also spawn in dungeons, though they appear far less regularly than Stone, Ore, and Sulfur deposits from what we’ve seen so far. For those in the early game, dungeons are your best bet for farming coal, but when you can get to the north of the map easily, Twilight Dunes and Bamboo Groves seem to have more deposits. The desert biome will wear your player out if they don’t have Heat Resistant Armor. It costs 15 Leather and four Flame Organs to create the Pelt Armor variant.
To mine a Coal deposit, you’ll need to use a Pickaxe. A Stone one works, but for more efficient mining, we recommend putting in the time to craft a Metal Pickaxe at High Quality Workbench. Each Metal Pickaxe requires x15 Stone, x20 Wood, and x5 Ingot.
Optimal Palworld coal farm checklist
If you manage to find Coal nodes next to a cluster of resources like Ore or Stone, it might be worth setting up a base. Here’s what you need to create a Palworld coal farm:
- Start with a Pal Box and keep a Storage Chest handy. A Wooden Chest (5 Stone, 15 Wood) does the trick.
- Create a few Berry Plantations and a Feed Box (20 Wood) for your Pals. Add Hot Springs to maintain the Sanity of your Pals. Some of the best passive skills in Palworld let you enhance sanity levels.
- Add Pal Beds based on the number of Pals. Produce food with the help of a Pal that’s good at Planting and Harvesting. A Bed (5 Fiber, 10 Wood) won’t hurt.
- Boost your mining speed on a Coal chunk with the best mining pals in Palworld like Dumud and Tombat. Get a Furnace to refine Ingots.
What can you make with Coal in Palworld?
Create Refined Ingots at the Improved Furnace with 2x Ore and 2 x Coal. You need to be at Technology Level 34 to create Refined Ore from regular Ore.
Refined Ingots can then be used to make a variety of items in Palworld like the following:
- Blazamut Saddle
- Electric Cooler
- Electric Furnace
- Electric Kitchen
- Electric Medicine Workbench
- Giga Glider
- Grizzbolt’s Minigun
- Mounted Missile Launcher
- Production Assembly Line II
- Refined Metal Chest
- Ultra Sphere
- Assault Rifle
- Hyper Grappling Gun
- Refined Metal Pickaxe
- Heat Resistant Refined Metal Armor
- Rocket Launcher
Weapons are essential to take down Pals and bosses in the game. As for armor, specific types resistant to heat or cold let you perform tasks like mining sulfur in Palworld. Saddles let you use Pals as mounts, granting you additional traversal options. As for structures like the Production Assembly Line, you can use it to create materials from raw materials with your Pals. Coal is among the most important resources in Palworld.
Palworld how to get Coal – FAQ
Is Coal the same as Charcoal in Palworld?
Don’t confuse Coal with Charcoal (2 Wood at the Primitive Furnace at Level 10). With the help of a Pal good in Kindling, Charcoal is used to make Gunpowder (2 Charcoal, 1 Sulfur) and Carbon Fiber (5 Charcoal or 2 Coal). It is also used to make structures like the Fireplace Set.
Can you get Coal from Pals in Palworld?
While Blazamut and Menasting have a chance of dropping Coal, you can get it more frequently by mining Coal nodes.