In Starfield, skills bestow various benefits on the player character. There are 82 in total, divided into five categories. Players can unlock skills with skill points upon level up, though higher tier skills are locked behind other prerequisites such as investing a certain number of points into a particular discipline or completing challenges.
There are 16 skills in the Physical category:
- Boxing: Beefs up your unarmed strikes, making them more powerful and less O2-intensive.
- Fitness: Boosts your O2 efficiency and maximum O2 level.
- Stealth: Allows for stealth and sneak attacks.
- Weight Lifting: Increases your carry weight.
- Wellness: Increases your maximum health.
- Energy Weapon Dissipation: Reduces damage from energy weapons.
- Environmental Conditioning: Increases resistance to various forms of environmental damage.
- Gymnastics: Unlocks the combat slide and reduces fall damage, along with increasing jump height, run speed, and Zero-G maneuverability.
- Nutrition: Increases the effects of food and drink.
- Pain Tolerance: Reduces physical damage.
- Cellular Regeneration: Increases the chance to recover from injuries automatically.
- Decontamination: Increases the chance to recover from infections automatically.
- Martial Arts: Provides various bonuses to unarmed and melee combat.
- Concealment: Supercharge your stealth skills.
- Neurostrikes: Provides the chance to disable opponents with unarmed attacks.
- Rejuvenation: Gain the ability to regenerate health.
There are 16 skills in the Social category:
- Commerce: Spend less money when buying and make more when selling.
- Gastronomy: Boosts your ability to craft food and drinks.
- Persuasion: Increases your chances to successfully persuade someone.
- Scavenging: Increases chances of finding extra items in containers.
- Theft: Allows for pickpocketing.
- Deception: Increases the odds of a successful surrender from enemy ships, and lowers the chances of being caught by contraband scans.
- Diplomacy: Allows you to stop enemy combatants from fighting.
- Intimidation: Allows you to make enemy combatants flee.
- Isolation: Bumps up stats when adventuring alone.
- Negotiation: Allows for bribery in speech challenges.
- Instigation: Allows you to make enemy combatants attack their allies.
- Leadership: Bumps up various stats for companions.
- Outpost Management: Provides bonuses for various areas of outposts.
- Manipulation: Allows you to make enemy combatants obey commands.
- Ship Command: Allows you to have more active crew members.
- Xenosociology: Allows you to make enemy alien creatures stop fighting, flee, attack their allies, or obey commands.
There are 17 skills in the Combat category:
- Ballistics: Increases damage when using ballistic weapons.
- Dueling: Provides bonuses when using melee weapons.
- Lasers: Increases damage when using laser weapons.
- Pistol Certification: Increases damage when using pistols.
- Shotgun Certification: Increases damage when using shotguns.
- Demolitions: Increases damage and reduces incoming damage from explosives.
- Heavy Weapons Certification: Increases damage when using heavy weapons.
- Incapacitation: Increases damage when using EM weapons.
- Particle Beams: Increases damage when using particle beams.
- Rifle Certification: Increases damage when using rifles.
- Marksmanship: Increase critical chance with ranged weapons.
- Rapid Reloading: Increases reload speed.
- Sniper Certification: Makes scoped weapons easier to use and ups the damage.
- Targeting: Increases accuracy and range when shooting without aiming.
- Armor Penetration: Allows shots to ignore some of an enemy's armor.
- Crippling: Allows you to down human enemies.
- Sharpshooting: Increases critical damage from ranged weapons.
There are 16 skills in the Science category:
- Astrodynamics: Increases the utility of the grav drive.
- Geology: Allows you to harvest more resources when exploring planets.
- Medicine: Improves the utility of medical items.
- Research Methods: Streamlines research projects.
- Surveying: Adds a zoom function to the hand scanner and increases scan distance.
- Botany: Allows you to harvest more resources from plants and scan them faster.
- Scanning: Improves the utility of the ship's scanner.
- Spacesuit Design: Allows for the construction of spacesuit mods.
- Weapon Engineering: Allows for the construction of weapon mods.
- Zoology: Allows you to harvest more resources from creatures and scan them faster.
- Astrophysics: Allows you to scan planets or moons from further away.
- Chemistry: Allows for the synthesis of chems.
- Outpost Engineering: Allows for the construction of outpost modules.
- Aneutronic Fusion: Increases the power output of your ship's reactor.
- Planetary Habitation: Increases the number of outposts you can build.
- Special Projects: Allows for the construction of unique research projects and components.
There are 17 skills in the Tech category:
- Ballistic Weapon Systems: Increases damage when using ballistic ship weapons.
- Boost Pack Training: Allows for the use of a boost pack.
- Piloting: Improves ship maneuverability and unlocks better classes of ship.
- Security: Allows for lockpicking.
- Targeting Control Systems: Improves ship's targeting system.
- Energy Weapon Systems: Increases damage when using ship energy weapons.
- Engine Systems: Improves ship's top speed and boost ability.
- Payloads: Expands ship's cargo hold.
- Shield Systems: Improves ship's shield capacity.
- Missile Weapon Systems: Increases damage when using missile ship weapons.
- Particle Beam Weapon Systems: Increases damage when using particle beam ship weapons.
- Robotics: Increases damage against robots and turrets.
- Starship Design: Allows for the installation of better ship modules.
- Starship Engineering: Improves your ability to repair your ship.