Hogwarts Legacy features a selection of potions for players to dip into to boost their combat powers or regain some much-needed health when things go awry. Whether you’re after cooldown reduction, enhanced defense, or increased damage, there’s a potion.
While not strictly necessary to make it through everything Hogwarts throws at players, potions are well worth getting to grips with – recipes, ingredients, and the brewing process itself. In this guide, we’ll outline how to make potions in Hogwarts Legacy.
READ MORE: How to Get a Jobberknoll in Hogwarts Legacy
How to Make Potions in Hogwarts Legacy
To unlock potion brewing in Hogwarts Legacy, you need to progress past the Potions Class quest and, ideally, The Room of Requirements quest. After learning how to brew an Edurus Potion in Professor Sharp’s potions classroom in The Library Annex part of Hogwarts, you’ll get access to the Potions Station there.
Interact with the station, hover over/select the potion you want to brew (recipe and ingredients allowing), and tap the Select button (X on PS5) to brew the potion. You’ll also have information about the brewing time and yield.
During The Room of Requirements quest, Deek tasks you with conjuring a Potions Station that you’ll then place. Once set up, it works in the same way as the one in the potions classroom. For convenience, the Room of Requirement is the best place to brew potions, as you can set up Potting Stations nearby to grow the various ingredients needed for their respective recipes.
Where to Buy Potions in Hogwarts Legacy
Though brewing your own potions is by far the most efficient and economical way to get potions, you can also buy potions from J. Pippin’s Potions in Hogsmeade and various traveling merchants throughout the Highlands. Prices are as follows:
- Focus Potion – 1,200 Galleons
- Thunderbrew – 1,200 Galleons
- Edurus Potion – 300 Galleons
- Invisibility Potion – 800 Galleons
- Maxima Potion – 500 Galleons
- Wiggenweld Potion – 100 Galleons
READ MORE: Hogwarts Legacy – How to Make Focus Potion
How to Get Potion Recipes
If you plan on brewing potions, you’ll need to know the recipes first. You can buy recipes at J. Potions in Hogsmeade for the following prices:
- Focus Potion – 500 Galleons
- Thunderbrew – 1,000 Galleons
- Edurus Potion – Recipe unlocked automatically during Potions Class quest.
- Invisibility Potion – 500 Galleons
- Maxima Potion – 300 Galleons
- Wiggenweld Potion – Recipe unlocked automatically during Potions Class quest.
- Felix Felicis – Pre-order exclusive for PS4 and PS5 versions of Hogwarts Legacy.
Hogwarts Legacy Potions List – Ingredients and Recipes
There are a total of 7 potions in Hogwarts Legacy. Below, we’ll detail their effects/benefits, recipes, and ingredients.
- Effect – Restores health.
- Recipe – x1 Horklump Juice, x1 Dittany Leaves
- Effect – Reduces spell cooldowns.
- Recipe – x1 Lacewing Flies, x1 Fluxweed Stem, x1 Dugbog Tongue
- Effect – Creates a storm that stuns and damages nearby enemies.
- Recipe – x1 Leech Juice, x1 Shrivelfig Fruit, x1 Stench of the Dead
- Effect – Enhances defense by covering the player in a durable rocky skin for a limited time.
- Recipe – x1 Ashwinder Eggs, x1 Mongrel Fur
- Effect – Reveals the location of large loot chests on the minimap for one in-game day.
- Recipe – x1 Lacewing Flies, x1 Fluxweed Stem
- Effect – Turns the drinker invisible for a short period of time and causes enemies to lose sight of them immediately.
- Recipe – x1 Leaping Toadstool Caps, x1 Knitgrass Sprig, x1 Troll Bogeys
- Effect – Enhances damage for a limited time.
- Recipe – x1 Leech Juice, x1 Spider Fang
How to Get Potion Ingredients
Ingredients are found in the valleys and hills around Hogwarts or grown in pots in the Room of Requirements and Herbology classroom in The Library Annex of Hogwarts.
Alternatively, you can buy potion ingredients from J. Pippin’s Potions and The Magic Neep in Hogsmeade, though they only offer limited stock. It’s helpful in a pinch, but the best way is to grow everything yourself and pick up materials as you explore and fight creatures and critters.
READ MORE: Hogwarts Legacy – Hogsmeade Demiguise Statue Locations
Check out how to use potions, how to catch a Thestral, how to solve the animal symbol door puzzles, and how to unlock flying in Hogwarts Legacy.