Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Former Assassin’s Creed narrative director Darby McDevitt has announced he’s returning to Ubisoft, just seven months after his departure from the company.
The writer revealed the news in a statement to his Twitter account. He said “It’s true! As I pondered my career over the past year, I focused on my desire to explore new ideas and unknown frontiers. Much to my delight, this is reflected in my return to Ubisoft to work on AC. I’m excited to continue my journey. Stay tuned!”
Darby McDevitt has had a long association with the Assassin’s Creed series, starting from PSP entry Assassin’s Creed Bloodlines in 2009. In addition, he lead the story for outings like Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag too. Most recently, he was Narrative Director on last year’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
He originally left the company back in March of this year. At the time, he said “I have decided to set forth on a new adventure. A special thanks to all the fans & content creators that have supported & expanded on our work over the years.” McDevitt would spend the interim at Illogika, the developer behind the recently announced A Quiet Place game.
We’re assuming McDevitt will be taking on writing duties on the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Infinity. He’s not the only high level staff change at Ubisoft in the last 24 hours. It was also announced that former Far Cry boss Dan Hay is leaving the company.
It's true! As I pondered my career over the past year, I focused on my desire to explore new ideas and unknown frontiers. Much to my delight, this is reflected in my return to Ubisoft to work on AC. I’m excited to continue my journey. Stay tuned!
— Darby McDevitt (@DarbyMcDevitt) November 12, 2021