Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Want a comprehensive best MW3 Zombies guns tier list? While Zombies offers a wide variety of weapons, some of them are better at defeating zombies and mercenaries at higher threat levels.
Our best MW3 loadouts and best AMR9 loadouts are great for multiplayer but when your back is against a wall and dozens of zombies come for your throat, stick to the ones in the following list. These MW3 Zombies tips and tricks should help you make the most of each run. Here are the MW3 Season 1 Reloaded patch notes if you want to get up to speed on the game.
Our best MW3 Zombies guns tier list explained
The following tier list focuses on tackling both large hordes of MW3 zombies as well as heavily armed mercenary units. This means that packing one gun for large units and another for single-target damage is recommended. You could also opt for area-damage weapons like launchers and Wonder Weapons to exterminate hordes of infected zombies at once. Based on our extensive playtime with the Zombies mode, here’s a tier list based on gun types with the weapon we recommend from that type.
We’ve also explained why we’ve picked these choices and how they help you enter higher threat levels and exfil in MW3 Zombies with some sweet loot.
|Wonder Weapons – Ray Gun, Scorcher, Wunderwaffe DG-2
Assault Rifles – SVA 545, Holger 556
LMGs – Holger 26
|Battle Rifles – BAS-B
Marksman Rifles – MCW 6.8
SMGs – Striker, WSP Swarm
|Shotguns – Lockwood 680
Launchers – RGL-80
Handguns – Renetti
|Sniper Rifles – Longbow
S-Tier weapons like Wonder Weapons, Assault Rifles, and LMGs
Here are some S-tier guns that will make your life easier in MW3 Zombies:
- Scorcher Wonder Weapon – While these are ultra-rare items that are hard to find and harder to craft, they can help you sweep entire hordes off the map. You can get them via contracts in the Red Zone that offer Reward Rifts with a chance of getting these items. I recommend the Scorcher for its area damage. Just remember that these are fairly low on ammo.
- Ray Gun Wonder Weapon – This classic offers massive damage compared to most guns. And thanks to splash damage, you can target multiple enemies that are in a single cluster. It’s not easy to get, but it’s worth the time investment.
- WunderWaffe DG-2 Wonder Weapon – Bullets fired from this sends an electric current through nearby zombies, killing all of them instantly. This makes it a must-have for the Red Zone, where contracts and zombies are at their toughest in Modern Warfare 3.
- SVA 545 Assault Rifle – Offering a solid mix between fire rate, ammo capacity, and damage, I recommend an Assault Rifle for any Zombies encounter. The SVA 545 is our top pick to keep the hordes at bay. The right loadout will improve your potential even further with enhanced recoil control and range. If you prefer aiming for critical hits, consider three-burst weapons like the FR 5.6.
- Holger 556 Assault Rifle – Another solid pick is the Holger 556. Its high damage competes with LMGs while offering a reliable rate of fire and decent recoil. With Pack-a-Punch and the right weapon rarity, you could even take out hordes solo. Consider the CHrios-6 Match Barrel and Morn-20 Grip to make the most of this weapon.
- Holger 26 LMG – Light machine guns are the favored guns of choice in MW3 Zombies. Thanks to their large ammo capacity, they can take on multiple zombies and even armored mercenaries before a reload. But remember that positioning is key with an LMG. If you’re caught reloading at the wrong place, zombies can quickly eat through your armor and health. The RPK is another solid LMG but you need to be at a higher level to get it. Or you could happen to find it in a playthrough, making an exfil your highest priority. Another good pick is the DG-58 LMG.
A-Tier picks like Battle Rifles, Marksman Rifles, and SMGs
Watch out for these A-Tier guns in MW3 Zombies:
- BAS-B Battle Rifle – Recoil aside, these Battle Rifles are great for both short-range and mid-range encounters. You might find yourself emptying magazines quickly so keep an eye out for ammo dropped by enemy zombies and mercenaries. The Death Perception perk in MW3 Zombies offers x-ray vision for items to make this easier.
- MCW 6.8 Marksman Rifle – While not adept at clearing large numbers, Marksman Rifles are great at single-target damage. You can use this against Elite Zombies, bosses, and other armored opponents. Headshots with these will cause some serious damage. Pair them with the Deadshot Daquiri perk for some incredible offensive potential.
- Striker SMG – With excellent control that comes at the cost of reduced damage, SMGs might not be an obvious pick for the MWZ mode. The Striker is my personal favorite. But with Pack-A-Punch upgrades or even the Deadshot Daquiri perk, these guns can deal solid damage against enemies. You can reload them fairly quickly and your flexibility in battle isn’t affected by them. This makes it easier to maneuver around zombies with an SMG compared to heavier LMG weapons. Consider a large magazine if you find yourself reloading during a tense fight too often.
- WSP Swarm SMG – The WSP Swarm is a great SMG pick too with its solid rate of fire. Pair it with the WSP Akimbo Brace Stock (Aftermarket Part) to tear through zombie hordes. The WSP Tac-20 Grip (Rear Grip) and the Verdant Hook Cylindrical Laser will let you boost your sprint-to-fire speed to quickly engage the enemy. The Xten Black Kite is a good muzzle pick as well. We’ve got the best WSP Swarm loadout in MW3 to improve your performance in-game.
B-Tier choices like Shotguns, Launchers, and Handguns
Check out our B-Tier choices for MW3 Zombies guns:
- Lockwood 680 Shotgun – Legacy players will be surprised to see Shotguns at the B-Tier. While they were ferocious in earlier games, they just don’t pack the same punch in MW3. This means that while they’re great for hordes and tough enemies at close range, it’s better not to completely rely on them for damage. It’s a great find on a battlefield but I wouldn’t pick this over a reliable Assault Rifle. Pick the right attachments like the Lockwood Defender Heavy Long Barrel, 12 Gauge Slug ammo, Matuzek Xray Skeletonized Guard, Express Light Bolt, and the Sawed Off Mod stock to destroy zombies that get too close. The Haymaker is another good option and so is the Riveter.
- RGL-80 Launcher – While the Launchers are great against hordes and tough enemies like Shotguns, their long reload times are a hassle in higher threat levels. Sure, LMGs have this tradeoff too but perks and Pack-A-Punch upgrades make them a better pick. But if you want to tackle vehicles while destroying the mercenary convoy in MW3 Zombies, it’s a good pick.
- Renetti Handgun – While the Renetti Handgun has a decent fire rate and damage, it’s no match for primary weapons like Battle Rifles. But a good handgun can come in handy if you’re downed and your squad isn’t nearby. This is because you can’t use other weapons when you’re downed. The Ray Gun is the sole exception to this rule. Consider the TYR handgun as well with its lethal Akimbo attachment.
- Crossbow – While sniper rifles aren’t great in MW3 Zombies, the crossbow’s option of using explosive thermite bolts makes it decent at crowd control. And that’s exactly what you need when dealing with multiple enemies all at once. Pack-a-Punch this weapon and you can fire up to 3 bolts in quick succession, letting you put down an entire horde in no time.
C-Tier guns like situational Sniper Rifles
I’d suggest avoiding these C-Tier gun options in MW3 Zombies:
- Longbow Sniper Rifle – Focusing solely on high-target damage isn’t a great idea when the map is filled with respawning enemies. Marksman Rifles fulfill this role fairly well with a faster fire rate too. Consider staying away from Sniper Rifles in the game unless you’re planning to hunt bosses down. In Zombies, great range options aren’t as important as rate of fire.
How to get the best MW3 Zombies guns
Remember to exfil after getting a gun you like in MW3 Zombies. Here are some methods to get the best weapons in the game:
- Exploration – Simply exploring the massive map in MW3 Zombies will lead you to some interesting weapons. Understandably, higher threat areas will have better gear of higher rarities.
- Complete contracts – Finishing these short missions in the Tac Map will give you Reward Rifts and other rewards. Some of these can contain rare guns. Do these in the Red Zone and you can even get a shot at the Wonder Weapons.
- Look for loot caches – Infected Strongholds and Aether Nests have caches like Aether caches that drop solid gear. Be careful though as their narrow corridors can be filled with enemies. Looking for yellow cysts to shoot while fending them off can be a challenge, especially at higher threat levels.
- Level up – Gaining experience from all the MW3 Zombies Act 1 missions will let you unlock more weapons. This lets you enter the battlefield with better gear right from the start.
MW3 Zombies weapon locations
While there are set Wallbuy spots across the map, the weapons they offer are randomized. Even their weapon rarity is random. This means that you can’t drop into a match with the idea of returning with a specific weapon. But bosses do drop specific weapons and can be found at set locations. Here are the MW3 Zombies boss locations and the weapons that they drop:
- Get the Longbow sniper rifle on the 4th floor of Ghalia Seaside hotel after beating the Rook boss.
- Find the .50 GS handgun at the Talanov Outpost in Popov Power after beating the Bishop boss.
- The 556 Icarus LMG is with the Knight boss who roams around the map.
- As for the Haymaker shotgun (called Tactical Negotiator), you’ll get it from the Warlord at the Legacy Fortress.
Add these new weapons to your armory and you can use them during your next MW3 Zombies run.
That covers the best MW3 Zombies guns. This tier list should help tackle foes and succeed in challenges like the MW3 Zombies Hands Off mission and get ready for the MW3 Season 1 Reloaded release time. Try Zombies now on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.
MW3 Guns Tier List FAQ
What is the best gun in MW3 Zombies?
The MCW 6.8 is our top pick for MW3 Zombies.
What is the best AR in MW3 Zombies?
According to us, the SVA 545 is the best AR in MW3 Zombies.