Whether for combat or to interact with the surrounding world in Hogwarts Legacy, you’ll be casting many spells throughout the game. During your walkthrough, you’ll also come across essential spells that are needed to unlock secrets and doors, like the Alohomora spell to open locked doors.
Knowing how to cast spells in Hogwarts Legacy is, therefore, an essential skill if you want your wizarding adventure to be a success. If you’re having a hard time getting to grips with the spell casting system in Hogwarts Legacy, you’ve come to the right page.
READ MORE: Hogwarts Legacy – How to Get Spells
How To Use Spells In Hogwarts Legacy
Hogwarts Legacy features 34 spells. You can equip four spells at a time in what are called spell sets. You start with one, but can expand to four by unlocking the right talents. With so many spells and different spell sets to customize, here’s how you can use each spell in Hogwarts Legacy, whether you’re playing with a controller or using a keyboard:
Casting Spells On Controller
If you’re playing Hogwarts Legacy with a controller, commit the following buttons to memory:
- Hold R2/RT button to enter spell mode (you can tap this once to quick-fire a basic spell).
- Use △, 〇, ✕, ▢, or A, B, X, Y on your controller to cast the corresponding spell on the set in the bottom-right of your on-screen spell HUD.
Casting Spells On Keyboard
Since Hogwarts Legacy is also available on PC. Key binds for PC players are pretty straightforward:
- Press F1, F2, F3, F4, or 5, 6, 7, 8 to switch between Spell Sets 1, 2, 3, and 4, respectively.
- Press 1, 2, 3, or 4 to cast spells (you can Scroll Up using your mouse for the next spell or Scroll Down for the previous spell).
You can deactivate certain spells (like Lumos and Accio) by pressing the same button again.
How To Equip Spells In Hogwarts Legacy
Different enemies, puzzles, and quest require different spells, so you’ll want to be swapping spells in and out throughout your playthrough. Here’s how:
- Press Right D-pad on your controller or T if you’re using a keyboard to open the Spell List.
- Hover over/select the spell you want to equip.
- Press the button for the spell you want to switch out with the new one. So, for example Square on PS5 or Y on Xbox.
READ MORE: Best Hogwarts Legacy spells – complete spells list and best combat spells
That covers how to cast spells in Hogwarts Legacy. Check out our other guides: Hogwarts Legacy – How to Fast Travel, Hogwarts Legacy Door Symbols – How to Unlock Animal Puzzle Doors, and Hogwarts Legacy – The Bell Tower Wing Field Guide Pages Locations.