Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Wondering how to get a mount in Diablo 4 Season 2? Then you have come to the right place. For those new to the Diablo series, mounts are horses that you’re able to use in the game. It’s far quicker to traverse the world using a mount but you won’t be able to unlock one immediately despite some cues early on that they’re available.
The possibility of unlocking a mount is revealed to you as soon as you reach Kyovashad with Lorath. You can speak with the stable master to see what options are available. However, you’ll need to stick to trekking across Sanctuary and fighting monsters on foot for quite a while.
During our playthrough while compiling our Diablo 4 review, we can confirm the only hint you’re given as to how to get a mount is that you must complete the quest Mount: Donan’s Favor quest. Don’t worry, we’ll go into this in detail below. Check out all the Diablo 4 Season 2 details as well. Prep yourself for the Diablo 4 Season 2 start time too. If you’re looking for a best GPU for Diablo 4, we’ve got you covered.
How to unlock mounts in Diablo 4 Season 2
To get a mount in Diablo 4, you must complete Mount Donan’s Favor, which is unlocked at the start of Act 4 A Gathering Storm. You won’t be able to skip to this, as it’s locked. This means that you must beat the first three acts to trigger Act 4 and then get to the desert biome on foot. You can do the three acts in whatever order you want but all three need wrapping up. Check out how many acts are in Diablo 4 to give you an idea of what to expect. Once you have unlocked the mount for one character, you’ll have it unlocked for all of your other characters.
Thankfully, it’s fairly simple to prioritize the main story and clear the first three acts. You can then return to explore the open world once you’ve unlocked mounts. Once you’ve unlocked Mount Donan’s Favor, to complete it you must simply head back to the north of Kyovashad. Then speak with Oskar, the stable master there.
How to use a mount in Diablo 4 Season 2
You can summon your mount by pressing the Right button on the D-pad. Remember that dungeons don’t let you use your mount. You can’t run around bosses or a world boss on horseback. Your basic mount can be switched to a special mount by spending real money or in-game currency.
Oskar will explain exactly how mounts work, then you can ride away with the ability to hurtle around the map at a much faster pace. Once you have unlocked the mount for one character, you will have it unlocked for all of your other characters.
Remember, you will have to dismount if you want to engage in combat – you are unable to attack while riding a horse. Mounts also have bursts of speed that are available, allowing you to accelerate fast for short periods of time. This is great to avoid groups of enemies, or if you want to traverse the map faster.
Mount changes in Diablo 4 Season 2
Season 2 brings welcome improvements to mounts, particularly in movement speed. Here are the notable mount changes in Season of Blood for Diablo 4 players:
- Players can now use the Spur ability to break through pesky barricades without dismounting.
- Your mounts will also be around 15% faster.
- Reduced cooldowns for manual dismounting (10 to 5 seconds) and those dismounting attacks (10 to 3 seconds).
List of mounts in Diablo 4 Season 2 and how to get them
Season of Blood also adds some new mounts and accessories:
- Demonbinder Mount Armour Cosmetic – Chance to drop if you beat Grigoire, the Galvanic Saint.
- Smoldering Brimstone Mount – Chance to drop when you beat Echo of Duriel.
- Salmagundi Mount – Obtained from Diablo 4 Season 2’s Season Journey.
- Strips and Points Mount Armour – Obtained from Diablo 4 Season 2’s Season Journey.
- Awoken Mount and Mount Armor – Found in the premium Diablo 4 Season 2 battle pass.
- Famished Thoroughbred Mount – Found in the premium Diablo 4 Season 2 battle pass right at Tier 1.
While Season Blessings were around in Season 1, Season of Blood adds the Urn of Swift Travel, which boosts how quickly your trusty Mount can recover from sprinting.
List of mounts in Diablo 4 Season of the Malignant and how to get them
Oskar will have a small selection of horses to choose from, including some unique ones for those with the Deluxe edition of the game, namely the Temptation Mount. You’ll also have a few customization options to purchase too. For example, choose what saddles and armor your mount will wear. But these are mostly cosmetics. You can also add horse armor like bardings and hoof plates or mount trophies to your mount. These are cosmetic trinkets that enhance your mount’s appearance.
Here’s a list of all the mounts in Diablo 4 Season of the Malignant and how to get them:
- Bloody Mount – 100,000 Red Dust in the Fields of Hatred
- Grey Steed Mount – 20,000 Gold
- Mottled Steed Mount – 20,000 Gold
- Old Nell Mount – Complete Donan’s Favor quest
- Endurance Mount – Penitent Dragoon Prestige purchase (1600 Platinum)
- Ingot Mount – Weight of Gold Prestige purchase (1600 Platinum)
- Liath Icehowl Mount – Crypt Hunter add-on
- Triune Charger Mount – Three-Fold Nightmare Prestige purchase (1500 Platinum)
- Light-Bearer Mount – Game pre-order bonus
- Primal Instinct Mount – Gift two Twitch subscriptions
- Temptation Mount – Deluxe Edition and Ultimate Edition bonus
- Bloody Liquid – Defeat the Echo of Lilith
- Brigand’s Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
- Blood Bay Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Kehjistan region
- Buckskin Bay Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Kehjistan region
- Caldeum Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
- Cavalier’s Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
- Decaying Mount – Chance to drop from Treasure Goblins
- Dustback Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Dry Steppes region
- Executioner’s Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
- Granite-Coat Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Scosglen region
- Grisly Calico Mount – Unknown
- Marsh Roan Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Hawezar region
- Marshback Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Hawezar region
- Pale Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Fractured Peaks region
- Plains Yearling Mount – Unknown
- Seal Brown Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
- Spectral Charger Mount – Gathering Legions events and Nightmare Dungeons
- Spotted Shale-Coat Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Scosglen region
- Striped Steppe Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest in the Dry Steppes region
- Trapper’s Mount – Chance to drop from any enemy mob or chest
Here are our top mounts for Diablo 4:
- Spectral Charge Mount
- Decaying Steed
- Temptation Mount
- Liath Icehowl Mount
- Cavalier’s Steed
Diablo 4 Season 2 mount skills
Once you get a mount, there are a number of skills available. Some are universal and can be used by all classes. Others are unique dismount abilities mapped to whatever class you have chosen, but all deal damage to enemies. With each of these skills, there is a brief cooldown period.
Here is the complete Diablo 4 Season 2 mount skills list:
- Spur (All classes): Allows you to make the mount run faster for a short duration.
- Dismount (All classes): Allows you to get off the mount.
- Bounding Slam (Barbarian class only): Leap from the mount and pummel the ground twice in quick succession, dealing damage to nearby enemies.
- Freezing Wake (Sorceress class only): Jump off mount as a wisp of ice and deal damage to enemies.
- Bone Spike (Necromancer class only): Leap from the mount and slam the ground, causing spikes to erupt, damaging enemies.
- Volley (Rogue class only): Leap upwards and fire a barrage of arrows, damaging foes.
- Pummel (Druid class only): Transform into a Wearbear and leap from mount before slamming the ground.
Now you know how to get a mount in Diablo 4 Season 2, why not read our guide on how long Diablo 4 is, so you know exactly how much further you have to go? We’ve also covered all the Diablo 4 Silent Chest locations too. Keep track of the Diablo 4 Season Journey to get more battle pass rewards.
What level do you get a mount in Diablo 4?
You need to reach Act 4 before you can get a mount in Diablo 4.
Can I buy mount in Diablo 4?
You can buy mounts in the Diablo 4 store.