Ubisoft
Josh Wise by on May 12, 2022

Ubisoft CEO says “We have everything we need to remain independent”

Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot, has said that the company intends to remain independent, after rumours of a buyout.

In an earnings call (via GamesIndustry.biz) Guillemot said:

“There has been a lot of talk about consolidation in the industry and in Ubisoft in particular. Our overall position is clear, and well known. As we said last February, we have everything we need to remain independent. We have the talent, the industrial and the financial scale, and a large portfolio of powerful IPs to create massive value in the coming years.”

Guillemot then went on to say that the rumours, if anything, demonstrate the company’s appeal:

“It has provided us with a plan to build strategic partnerships with the biggest players in entertainment and tech. The current speculation is putting in plain sight the real appeal and value of our assets and of our value creation potential.”

Ubisoft has been heavily criticised recently, after reports of its “frat house” culture surfaced in 2020. Guillemot said, last year, that the company had made “considerable progress” in improving its culture.

The most recent big Ubisoft game I played was Far Cry 6, which was a good time for a little while, until it drastically wasn’t:

“I had had more than my fill after the first four hours, with no desire to venture back in.”

Comments

Comments are closed.