The new expansion will add four new zones to the game, which are based around the Dragon Isles. But for those who missed the previous expansion, Shadowlands, do you need to own that in order to play the game? Here’s everything you need to know.
Can you play Dragonflight without buying Shadowlands?
In short, yes you’ll need to own Shadowlands to pre-purchase Dragonflight. If you did not play Shadowlands, it’s still required if you’re to play the Dragonflight expansion.
The good news is that Shadowlands has been added to the basic monthly subscription – so all you need to play Dragonflight is subscribe to the game. Remember, you will also have access to all of the previous World of Warcraft expansions too.
For those who are new to Warcraft, you are able to play a free version of the game up until you reach level 20 – from then on, you’ll need to choose from one of the three subscription tiers, which we have detailed below.
- One month: $14.99 – great for those who are new to the series and want to try
- Three months: $41.97 (which takes it down to $13.99 per month) – the weakest of the three deals, we would recommend going for the six month if you’re a serious player as it’ll save more money
- Six months: $77.94 (equivalent to $12.99 per month) – perfect for established players
If you do want to pre-purchase the game, you can choose from three editions, which can be bought here. There are numerous bonus items and rewards available for those who choose to do this. The below details come courtesy of the official Battle.net website.
- Includes a pre-purchase of World of Warcraft: Dragonflight and the Drakks pet as a pre-purchase bonus item.
- Includes everything in the Base Edition, plus the Tangled Dreamweaver flying mount, the Murkastrasza pet, and instant access to a Dragonflight-Level Character Boost (Level 60) to get you ready for your adventures across the Dragon Isles.
- Includes everything in the Heroic Edition, plus 30 days of game time, the Timewalker’s Hearthstone effect, the Diadem of the Spell-Keeper’s head-slot transmog, and the Wings of Awakening back-slot transmog which includes 5 color variants, one for each of the major Dragonflights.