EA has signalled its intention to ditch physical game sales from online store Origin.

The publisher will no longer sell physical games via the store from this Friday, April 4, shifting the service to an entirely digital outlet in order to "give gamers the best experience".

The shift won't affect too many people, though: EA states that only 1 per cent of its users actually bought physical games from Origin, and that the remaining 99 per cent will not be affected by the transition.

"Digital is fast and convenient," says EA. "Origin's focus is to give gamers the best experience, and going all-digital will make that possible."

EA has tended to require many of its recent PC titles to be registered via Origin, including Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 4 and last month's Titanfall.

Source: origin.com