Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono has revealed he isn't working on a new fighting game which brings together the characters of Nintendo and Capcom.
Last month at the European Nintendo 3DS showcase, Ono was reported to have responded very positively to the idea of creating a game featuring Nintendo and Capcom characters, fuelling rumours that a Nintendo vs. Capcom game was a distinct possibility. It turns out that isn't the case.
"I mentioned it was an interesting idea that somehow transmogrified on the Internet into me saying I was going to do it! I have no plans to do it," Ono told IGN.
"I had to go to Nintendo President Iwata-san and actually apologise that I let things get out of hand," he added. "But maybe this whole conversation could be the start of something like that... or maybe it ends with me in the dog house with Iwata-san. Time will tell where [this is] going to go."
Ono said creating such a game isn't impossible, but described it as being "not terribly likely".
As much as we and many other fans would like to see a Nintendo vs. Capcom fighting game, it sounds like Ono doesn't really believe there's a great chance of it happening.
Vs. fans will have to make do with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which hits stores on February 18.