Grand Theft Auto 5 has broken seven Guinness World Records, including the record for selling the most amount of units within 24 hours and being the fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion.
The game beats records previously held by Call of Duty: Black Ops and movie properties Avatar and The Avengers.
“GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books,” said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief, Craig Glenday.
“Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I’m also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
The seven records include:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
GTA 5 launched on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on September 17, generating over $1b worth of revenue within its first 72 hours. Despite its extraordinary sales the game continues to sell well week-on-week, placing at no.2 in this week’s All-Format Chart.