THQ's Darksiders II sold 247,000 copies in the US for the month of August, reports the NPD Group (via GameInformer).
Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. 2 charts at No.2 with 240,000 copies, whilst Square's Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance moved 180,000 copies.
Square's Sleeping Dogs, which bossed the UK chart on its release, failed to replicate that performance in the US, managing to place at a somewhat disappointing No.6. Actual sales for the open-world action title haven't been given, but Activision's Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is at No.7 with 105,000 units.
1. Darksiders II (360, PS3, PC)
2. New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
3. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
4. NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
5. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
6. Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
7. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3)
8. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
10. The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii)
On the hardware front Xbox 360 is once again top dog, selling 193,000 units and securing its 20th consecutive month as the top-selling current generation console in the US. The PS3 sold more units than in July, but still came in under Microsoft's figure, whilst 3DS hardware sales are up 36 per cent over those recorded in July.
Given that the first Darksiders sold a reported 171,200 copies in January 2010, the bump to 247,000 copies represents a 44 per cent rise - whether or not this is deemed enough by THQ remains to be seen.