Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was the biggest-selling game of 2012 at UK retail, according to a report released by GfK Chart-Track.
According to MCV, Black Ops 2 and second place FIFA 13 are "streaks ahead of the rest of the chart".
Assassin's Creed 3 claims the No.3 spot, followed by Halo 4 and Hitman: Absolution. Just Dance 4 is at No.6 and Far Cry 3 made seventh. It's worth noting that all seven titles were released in the final three months of the year, which goes to show the increased willingness to spend in the holiday season.
The Top 20 Games of 2012:
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Activision
2. FIFA 13 - Electronic Arts
3. Assassin's Creed III - Ubisoft
4. Halo 4 - Microsoft
5. Hitman Absolution - Square Enix
6. Just Dance 4 - Ubisoft
7. Far Cry 3 - Ubisoft
8. FIFA 12 - Electronic Arts
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Bethesda
10. Borderlands 2 - 2K Games
11. Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts
12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Warner Bros
13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Electronic Arts
14. FIFA Street - Electronic Arts
15. Mario & Sonic: London 2012 Olympic Games
16. Skylanders Giants - Activision
17. Battlefield 3 - Electronic Arts
18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Activision
19. Max Payne 3 - Rockstar
20. Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix
Borderlands 2 at No.10 is a little lower than many would have estimated, followed by Mass Effect 3 at No.11. Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs at No.19 and No.20, respectively, are also lower in the list than we would have guessed given their strong chart presences. In addition, early year No.1 titles such as Final Fantasy XIII-2, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, UFC 3, and SSX fail to make the Top 20 - this goes to show how weak game sales were in the early part of the year.
Whilst three FIFA games made the Top 20, rival franchise PES failed to trouble the chart. It's also worth pointing out that not a single Nintendo or Sony published game made the Top 20.