With next-gen consoles right around the corner, the time could finally be right to ramp up development on Beyond Good & Evil 2, creator Michel Ancel has told VideoGamer.com - but not before warning fans that the game may take another three years to come to light.
"We can't talk too much about [Beyond Good & Evil 2] just to avoid disappointing people," Ancel told us during a Rayman Legends press event last week, "but yes, we think that now the time could come to make this kind of game and move to this kind of very ambitious game."
And Ancel appears to be prepared to devote a few years of his life to get the sequel right - possibly moving away from Rayman to ensure the game lives up to expectation.
"I know this is going to take a part of our life," he says. "We need to be sure that everything is going to follow our project. Of course the company, but the hardware too. If the team, the company and the hardware are there, I believe that we can take three more years of our life... and just [make] the game."
The sequel to cult favourite Beyond Good & Evil was first announced during Ubisoft's E3 2008 press conference. However, Ancel's latest comments suggest that the title may not have been in as active development as previously thought.
Back in 2011, Ancel was reported to have told journalists that "we are very far [into] development so we can't go back now", adding that the team was "targeting the next generation of consoles". But if the game is still a few years away from release, how far into development could it have been?
Ancel's latest title Rayman Legends goes on sale on August 30.