The spiritual successor to those 3D platformers from Rare that you grew up with, Yooka-Laylee, has been updated on PC, Mac and Linux. The patch will be coming to consoles in a few weeks, and the Nintendo Switch version will have all these additions built-in from day one.
The update addresses many of the issues players had (including myself) with the game such as the argumentative camera, which you will now be able to overcome thanks to an option that gives you complete control over it. The 'wakka wakka' dialogue from characters can be shortened so you don't have to hear long stretches of it, too, and cutscenes can be skipped.
The hub world Hivory Towers was tricky to get around because of how vast it was; it was quite easy to get lost. Now, any Pagies that you collect in here will also have signposts that lead you to entry points of new worlds. As well as that, you'll be able to check out all the new moves you've learned from the pause menu, which wasn't available previously.
You can have a gander at all of the changes developer Playtonic Games has made to the game by heading over to the official website, but here are some highlights:
- New music added to the pause menu
- New optional camera mode added with minimal assist
- Pagies have added signposts to Hivory Towers to help guide players to new worlds
- Design tweaks to all arcade games
- Improved speed when scrolling through Totals Menu
- New option for shorter ‘gibberish’ voice sound FX
- New speech volume option
- New ability to speed through dialogue by holding Y
- Cut-scenes can now be skipped with Y
- New moves section added to pause menu, with image guide
- Camera design improvements throughout game (less scripted cameras, door cams now appear behind player etc)
- Restart option added in the pause menu during arcade games and Kartos challenges
- ‘Sonar-able’ objects now have clearer visual identity
- Laser move no longer requires player to crouch
- Minecart control and hitbox improvements, plus new visual effects
- Transformation control improvements
- Improved first-person aiming controls
- New first-person aiming control options added
- Improved flying controls
- When transformed, collecting butterflies now restores energy
- Hunter tonic now tracks the last 30 Quills and Casino Tokens, in addition to the Health and Power Extenders. It will also whistle at the location of the closest rare collectable.
- Health UI is now always visible when low
- Design tweaks in various areas (Black Hole in One, Gloomy Gem Grotto etc)
- New icons added for keyboard/mouse controls
- Arcade games now support per player control settings, such as vibration, inverted aim and sensitivity
- Improved Rampo boss fight
- Added PC Display Settings to the in-game pause menu
- Performance improvements
- Audio improvements