Dead Island: Riptide has debuted at no.1 in the UK All-Formats Top 40, knocking last week's top-seller Injustice: Gods Among Us down a spot to No. 2.

But despite Riptide's success at the top of the charts, the zombie slaying sequel only managed to sell less than half the amount the original sold during its first week on sale in September 2011.

The Xbox 360 version accounted for 71 per cent of Riptide's total sales, with the remaining 29 per cent split between PC and PS3.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen enters the chart at No. 3, with abysmal movie spin-off Star Trek shooting in at No. 4.

Last week's other new releases - LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - enter into the UK Top 40 at No. 8 and No. 38 respectively, with BioShock Infinite, last week's no. 2, slipping four places to no. 6.

3DS RPG Fire Emblem: The Last Awakening also slips a huge ten places, falling from No. 3 to No. 13.

UKIE Games Charts, compiled by GfK Chart-Track, (All Prices) Week 17, 2013

1. Dead Island: Riptide

2. Injustice: Gods Among Us

3. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

4. Star Trek

5. Tomb Raider

6. BioShock Infinite

7. FIFA 13

8. LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins

9. Defiance

10. Luigi's Mansion 2

11. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

12. Far Cry 3

13. Fire Emblem: Awakening

14. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

15. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

16. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

17. Hitman Absolution

18. Skylanders Giants

19. Aliens: Colonial Marines

20. Assassin's Creed 3

Given the overwhelming success of the original, Dead Island: Riptide's opening week sales will likely disappoint Deep Silver. Nevertheless, its run at the top looks set to continue next week, with only Vita title Soul Sacrifice likely to make any kind of dent on next week's chart.