Former Need For Speed developer Criterion Games is developing a Battlefield spin-off due for release in the next financial year, according to analyst firm Wedbush Securities.
In a report provided to VideoGamer.com today, Wedbush said:
“Although EA has as yet to announce a Battlefield extension for FY:15, we believe Criterion Games is working on a military shooter that may become a brand extension for the Battlefield franchise in FY:15.
“DICE is responsible for Battlefield 4 and the patch, and DICE’s two studios (in Stockholm and London) are currently working on Mirror’s Edge 2 (announced at E3 and likely a FY:16 release) and Star Wars Battlefront (announced at E3, and possibly a FY:17 release).”
The report later states that Wedbush “spoke with [EA] management on Thursday afternoon, and although they have not yet announced a version of Battlefield for FY:15, they confirmed that our understanding is spot on and that if a version of Battlefield were to be released in FY:15, it would be developed by a studio other than DICE.”
Criterion previously developed the Burnout and Black series of games before moving onto the Need For Speed franchise in the late 2000s.
However, the studio splintered into two teams during the summer, with the majority going on to form Ghost Games UK. The remainder is thought to be working on a new title under the name Criterion Zero.
UPDATE: A 3D Modelling Artist at digital production company Technicolor also claims to be working on a Battlefield game due for release in 2014.
UPDATE 2: EA UK provided VideoGamer.com with a “no comment” when contacted about Wedbush Securities’ comments earlier this afternoon.
UPDATE 3: Despite prior comments, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has since told Eurogamer that he believes Dead Space developer Visceral Games is actually developing the game, not Criterion.
Source: Wedbush Securities Update Thursday, December 5