Project Spark, Microsoft's game creation tool which was also supported with a host of ready-made game content via DLC, is transitioning to a "free incubation engine". Essentially this means that Project Spark's content is going completely free and all future DLC - including new episodes for Conker's Big Reunion - is being canned.
"On October 5, Project Spark will be rolling out its biggest update and platform change," announced Microsoft in a Project Spark blog post. "This update overhauls many Project Spark systems and areas. The biggest change is a shift from a free-to-play model to a free and open creation platform."
The post continues: "This will automatically unlock previously paid downloadable content for new and existing Project Spark users. Microsoft will pivot from producing DLC and active feature development to encouraging more user generated content and opening the Project Spark experience."
All players who have purchased Project Spark digital content on or after July 28, 2015, purchased a retail disc and activated it by product key redemption on or after July 28, 2015 or have a remainder balance of purchased in-game tokens will be entitled to Microsoft Store credit equivalent to their money spent. This credit will arrive within 30-60 days.
The new Project Spark Title Update, arriving on October 5, will include:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been doubled (on top of Massive World Builder)
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500 (on top of Massive World Builder)
- 200+ new assets will be added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favourites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators
Source: Project Spark