Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Steam users can play Civilization 5 completely free of charge until 10am on Thursday morning as part of a promotion to raise awareness of the franchise ahead of Friday’s launch of Civilization Beyond Earth.
Just head over to the game’s Steam page to begin playing.
There’s still time to pre-order Beyond Earth and secure you bonus content – the Exoplanets Map Pack, a free DLC that includes six custom maps “inspired by real exoplanets”
- Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets.
- Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to our solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet’s settlement are well-preserved.
- Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources.
- Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness.
- 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces.
- Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
Best Cyber Monday deals 2023
- WD Black SN850X 1TB- $79.99 (was $180)
- ASUS TUF RTX 4060 Ti OC - $409.99 (was $460)
- Alienware AW2724DM QHD - $327.99 (was $500)
- Razer Huntsman V2 TKL - $79.99 (was $160)
- Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless - $89.99 (was $150)
Set in the future, global events have destabilised the world leading to a collapse of modern society, a new world order and an uncertain future for humanity. As the human race struggles to recover, the re-developed nations focus their resources on deep space travel to chart a new beginning for mankind.
You, as part of an expedition sent to find a home beyond Earth, will write the next chapter for humanity as you lead your people into a new frontier and create a new civilization in space.
2K has also said that Mac and Linux versions of Civ Beyond Earth will launch this holiday season.