The 24th annual Golden Joystick awards took place last Friday at the Hilton Hotel on London’s exclusive Park Lane. This year the awards were hosted by long-haired TV funny man Justin Lee-Collins, and over 700 key industry figures from all over the world were invited to celebrate the last 12 months of gaming.
Oblivion took home the PLAY.com Ultimate Game of the Year award, and also won the Xbox Game of the Year, and ebuyer.com PC Game of the Year. The PlayStation 3, although many months away from release in Europe, won the One to Watch for 2007 award, and Nintendo’s Nintendogs won The Sun Family Game Award and the bliss Girls Choice Award.
RockStar Games’ GTA series made it six successful years in a row, with Liberty City Stories winning Handheld Game of the Year. Xbox Live Marketplace won the T3 Innovation Award and Lara Croft won the Favourite Character Award.
2006 Golden Joystick winners in full:
- PLAY.com Ultimate Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Editor’s Game of the Year – Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
- The Sun Family Game Award – Nintendogs
- bliss Girls Choice Award – Nintendogs
- Nuts All-Nighter Award – Pro Evolution Soccer 5
- PlayStation 2 Game of the Year – Resident Evil 4
- Nintendo Game of the Year – New Super Mario Brothers
- Xbox Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- ebuyer.com PC Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Handheld Game of the Year – GTA: Liberty City Stories
- Intel Online Game of the Year – Age of Empires III
- 1Xtra and Rampage Soundtrack of the Year – Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- T3 Innovation Award – Xbox Live Marketplace
- The One to Watch for 2007- Sony PlayStation 3
- Favourite Character Award – Lara Croft
- Sonopress Publisher of the Year – Electronic Arts
- Sierra Retailer of the Year – Game