It's no surprise to see Madden NFL 07 topping the 2006 best sellers list in North America. The game is always a guaranteed hit in the US and with sales of more than 1.8 million on the PlayStation 2 alone it is the clear best seller for the year.
Madden is closely followed by New Super Mario Bros. and Kingdom Hearts II, both of which sold more than 1.5 million units. Placing fourth is Gears of War, a mightily impressive show for a game that only hit the market in November. Closing out the top five is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for Xbox 360 with 913,000 units sold since its March release.
Top 10 Selling Games of 2006:
Game / release date / Platform; Units sold
1. Madden NFL 07 / August / PlayStation2; 1.8 million+
2. New Super Mario Bros. / May / Nintendo DS; 1.5 million+
3. Kingdom Hearts II / March / PS2; 1.5 million+
4. Gears of War / November / Xbox 360; 1 million+
5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter / March / Xbox 360; 913,000+
6. Final Fantasy XII / November / PS2; 895,000+
7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories / June / PS2; 860,000+
8. NCAA Football 07 / July / PS2; 849,000+
9. Madden NFL 07 / August / Xbox 360; 826,000+
10. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!/ April / NDS; 792,000+