Title: "Gears of War"
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Developer: Epic Games Inc.
Format: DVD for the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system
ESRB Rating: Pending
Availability: Emergence Day 2006
Product Overview: "Gears of War" is the first game developed by Epic Games exclusively for Microsoft Game Studios and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. "Gears of War" thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing story of humankind's epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet.
In this third-person tactical action/horror game, players live and breathe the role of Marcus Fenix. A disgraced former war hero, Marcus seeks personal redemption as he leads his fire team against an onslaught of merciless warrior fiends. Gamers immerse themselves in an experience so intensely emotional and gut-wrenching that playing will be like controlling a blockbuster action movie.
"Gears of War" utilizes the breathtaking new Unreal Engine 3 to create cinematic, high-definition visuals for a gaming experience that truly ushers in the next generation. Gamers will experience beautifully rendered interactive environments and characters so lifelike they appear to be made of flesh and bone. The next-generation visuals create a world in which the tiniest detail is vivid in the largest battle.
"Gears of War" unites next-generation technology with classic, emotional storytelling and a revolutionary tactical combat system, engrossing the gamer in a horrifying epic story of war and survival.
- Engaging and disturbing cinematic story. Massively scoped worlds, memorable characters and an epic story line play out like an intense and unsettling blockbuster action film. Dramatic in-game camera work and a compelling story bring the brutal, emotionally charged experience to life. Gamers control Marcus Fenix and his fire team as they pit advanced human technology against the overwhelming and horrific Locust Horde.
- Fire team co-op action. All game modes, levels and scenarios are designed for cooperative fire team play (AI or human). For the first time, AI teammates are indiscernible from human players. They move intelligently, take orders effectively, and seek cover and defend themselves when necessary. Gamers will experience richer cooperative gameplay than ever, through unique characters that require cooperation to survive.
- Unprecedented visuals in next-generation gaming. "Gears of War" ushers in the next generation with unprecedented visuals. The Unreal Engine 3 technology pushes high-definition visual designs and brings out the smallest details in the largest battle. Gamers will experience a rich dynamic world with an unprecedented level of detail. Characters come to life with unbelievable model quality and a physics-integrated animation system that has them truly reacting intelligently to events as they unfold around them.
- Hyper-realistic and intense combat. In "Gears of War" the battlefield is a lethal place to foolishly stand out in the open is to die. To survive, gamers can create and take cover using interactive and dynamic environments, suppress the enemy with blindfire, and use their weapons and teammates to outwit and outfight their terrifying enemies.
- Next-generation Xbox Live action. "Gears of War" will embody the next-generation Microsoft® Xbox Live(TM) experience and extend it even further. Gamers will be able to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player achievements, customize their games, and build and personalize their gamer profiles.
Developer Information: Epic Games Inc., based in Raleigh, N.C., and established in 1991, is a developer of cutting-edge computer and video games. The company is best known as the creator of hit PC 3-D action games "Unreal" and "Unreal Tournament," both award-winning blockbuster hits having sold more than 1 million units each. Epic is also well-known as creator of the Unreal Engine, which it has licensed to several major game developers. To date over 10,000,000 games have been sold that utilized Epic's Unreal Engine technology, and the number is growing steadily each year. Before its 3-D success, Epic Games was well-known for the hit shareware games "Jill of the Jungle," "Jazz Jackrabbit" and "Epic Pinball." Additional information can be obtained through Epic's Web site at http://www.epicgames.com.