Blimey, would you Adam and Eve it? Yep, that's another week done and dusted, and with it a whole bunch of (hopefully) exciting video game news to digest. Being an EastEnders fan, I know how important catching up on stuff is, so that's why I'm here to guide you through the biggest gaming stories of the past week before you bugger off down the pub, play some Fortnite, fire up Netflix, or do whatever it is you do on a Friday night. But first, I’ll get the important stuff out of the way…
Sean Slater is returning to EastEnders in the spring, and I couldn’t be happier. No bullshit – I’ve been waiting for this for years. Rob Kazinsky is the only actor to have appeared in the show that has actually gone on to do anything meaningful in the US, so the fact he’s squeezing time in for a return to Walford is pretty sweet. He was a bit of a nutter for sure, but Rob also offered some much-needed nuance to what could have been a cliche ‘bad boy’ role. Still, I’d love to see him waltz back into Walford and lamp Phil Mitchell one. Go on Slater, make it happen.
Elsewhere this week, music mogul Simon Cowell admitted that he stole the idea for Britain’s Got Talent from a rival, before revealing the show will last for 20 years. And you know what? I can believe it. Cowell will find a way to do it when he’s 90, even if they have to wheel him out at the auditions.
And forget everything that happened in the Houses of Parliament over the last seven days, Danny ‘I’m fucking Danny Dyer’ Dyer had the only news worth talking about on Twitter this week when he confirmed that he’s not leaving his role as landlord Mick Carter anytime soon. 'I ain't goin' nowhere,' he says. Guess those naff cockney gangster films must be drying up a bit, eh Danny?
Gearbox chief Randy Pitchford and his former friend and lawyer are currently embroiled in what can only be described as a pretty messy legal battle. Pitchford is suing Wade Callender for failing to repay money borrowed towards personal legal fees, while Callender’s accusations are far more disturbing. He alleges that Pitchford left a USB device at a restaurant containing ‘underage’ pornography, as well as hosting parties where men ‘exposed’ themselves to minors. In addition, Callender claims that Pitchford had accepted a $12 million bonus from publisher Take-Two; Pitchford, obviously, has strenuously denied the accusations.
Capcom’s Resi 2 demo has been a pretty big success so far, although it’s interesting to note that only 28% of people actually completed it (at the time of writing). Colm actually touched base on the topic of demos recently – something I can relate to. Funnily enough, one of the most memorable teasers I played as a gamer was for the original version of Resi 2. It was about 20 minutes long, and featured a few bits and pieces that were switched in the final game. Back in late ‘97, it was a huge thing; a succinct taster of what would become Capcom’s Terminator 2 moment. Plus, who remembers OPM demo discs? Good times.
Kotaku has reported this week that the open-world Star Wars game has been shelved. Apparently, EA wanted something out sooner, and realised the project – codenamed Orca – wouldn’t make it out in time. As such, they’ve now begun work on a smaller-scale Star Wars title. It’s a massive blow for sure, as the title had already been scrapped once before at Visceral, although back then it was more of a linear, action-adventure title under Amy Hennig’s watchful eye. Despite the news, EA has said it remains 'fully committed' to making new Star Wars titles.
Gordon Bennett, the Uncharted movie has certainly been through the ringer, ain’t it? Nathan Drake’s silver-screen debut has been in the pipeline for nearly a decade now, and in that time we’ve had the likes of David O. Russell, Seth Gordon, and Shawn Levy attached in some capacity. And Mark Wahlberg as Nate, for some reason. Hopefully this latest development, which sees Cloverfield helmer Dan Trachtenberg sitting in the director’s chair, will actually see the project get into production. Tom Holland’s still lined up to portray a younger Drake too; casting I still feel is pretty spot on.
Mortal Kombat 11 reveal blowout
NetherRealm unmasked Mortal Kombat 11 in full at a joint event in Los Angeles and London on Thursday, and I was lucky enough to attend and go hands-on with the bloody brawler. In addition to seeing how the game actually plays, the studio confirmed details on a couple of new things, including some new characters and a Kollector’s Edition. The latter is particularly lovely, coming with a 1:1 replica of Scorpion’s mask. That would look totally mint on my shelf next to my assortment of gaming tat. We also got confirmation that WWE superstar Ronda Rousey is voicing hard-as-nails Sonya Blade, which is kind of cool, I guess? I mean, if Call of Duty got Buffy the Vampire Slayer, why shouldn’t MK jump on the celeb bandwagon?
Destiny developer Bungie has issued a statement addressing the future of the sci-fi series, following last week’s shocking news of it splitting with Activision. The good news is that nothing has been affected as a result of the split, with Bungie still beavering away on content for the annual pass. It also gave a nice nod to developers Vicarious Visions and High Moon Studios, who helped out on various Destiny-related projects. In short, the general message seems to be: ‘Chill out, we got this.’ As the only sod who still plays Destiny in the office, I’m pretty stoked for what Bungie has up its sleeves. If anything, I’m hoping the former Halo dev avoids the messy launch that Destiny 2 endured with the inevitable sequel – that’d definitely be a good start.