Combat is a pillar of the Monster Hunter franchise, with each game adding on to the existing mechanics in the last, creating a unique and exciting experience with every title that comes out. Monster Hunter Rise is no different, introducing the new Switch Skill mechanic that allows for much more dynamic combat.
NOW READ: Can you play Monster Hunter Rise solo?
This guide will explain various methods of unlocking Switch Skills in Monster Hunter Rise.
What are Switch Skills in Monster Hunter Rise?
Switch Skills are swappable moves in a weapon’s move set. Each of the 14 weapon types in Monster Hunter Rise has 3 sets of 2 moves that can be interchanged, providing players with a diverse and customizable combat experience. These moves can be changed on the fly, even in base camps and subcamps, while in the middle of a hunt, providing players more flexibility and control over their gameplay.
NOW READ: Does Monster Hunter Rise have crossplay?
The base game originally provided players with 3 Switch Skills per weapon, but the Sunbreak expansion increased that number to 5.
How do you Unlock Switch Skills in Monster Hunter Rise?
Switch Skills unlock as players progress through the game, with each weapon having 1 default move available from the start. This feature is further expanded in the Sunbreak DLC, though players must fulfill different requirements to unlock these newer Switch Skills.
The process of unlocking the base game’s Switch Skills is divided into three sets, each with its own unique conditions:
- The first set of Switch Skills can be unlocked by completing ★3 Urgent Quest “Feathered Frenzy”. Master Utsushi will then provide them with the Switch Skills for all 14 weapons.
- To unlock the second set of Switch Skills, players need to upgrade or craft a total of 8 unique weapons of a single weapon type. Remember that this process will need to be repeated for each weapon type you wish to unlock Switch Skills for.
- The third set of Switch Skills can be unlocked by achieving a high rank in the Hub (★4 and higher). Once you reach the required Hub Rank, Master Utsushi will provide you with special quests to unlock the final Switch Skills set.
By following these conditions and unlocking the base game Switch Skills, players can tailor their combat strategy and take on many of the most challenging Monsters.
NOW READ:TODAY'S COIN MASTER FREE SPINS HAVE ARRIVED - FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE HERE!
How to Unlock Switch Skills in Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak?
Unlocking Switch Skills in the Sunbreak Expansion is done by playing the game and progressing through the story, similar to the base game. Here’s a breakdown of how to unlock the 2 sets of new Switch Skills in Sunbreak:
- The first set of new Sunbreak Switch Skills can be unlocked by reaching Elgado and talking to Master Arlow. He will ask you to learn Skill Swapping with Master Utsushi, who will then give you the first 14 sets of Sunbreak Switch Skills without any requirements.
- The second set of new Sunbreak Switch Skills is unlocked by reaching Master Rank 4 and finishing two key quests before fighting Astalos. Afterward, go to Kamura Village, where Utsushi will give you the remaining 28 Switch Skills – 2 for each weapon.
These Switch Skills introduced in the Sunbreak expansion are incredibly powerful, and will even be able to facilitate you in the toughest fights the game has to offer.
Switch Skills are an important combat mechanic that allows you to swap your weapon’s moves in Monster Hunter Rise. There are 5 sets of Switch Skills that you can unlock for your weapons by completing specific requirements – 3 available in the base game and 2 in the Sunbreak DLC.
Videogamer.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / Last updated on 2023-03-25
Videogamer.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / Last updated on 2023-03-30