Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
Just how powerful is PlayStation 4? Well, powerful enough for Sucker Punch to allocate 60,000 polygons purely to Delsin Rowe’s head – and a further 7,500 to his beanie hat.
The fun figures were revealed by Sucker Punch in a letter sent to VideoGamer.com ahead of the game’s launch, highlighting a variety of facts you might not know about the game.
For example, did you know that Delsin shatters into 11,000 individually textured ‘ashbit’ particles during a single smoke dash, or that there are 1,024 sound variations for the smoke bolt, meaning it will rarely sound the same way twice?
Best Cyber Monday deals 2023
- WD Black SN850X 1TB- $79.99 (was $180)
- ASUS TUF RTX 4060 Ti OC - $409.99 (was $460)
- Alienware AW2724DM QHD - $327.99 (was $500)
- Razer Huntsman V2 TKL - $79.99 (was $160)
- Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless - $89.99 (was $150)
Each city block recreated in Second Son’s Seattle measures 100 meters square, too – the same size, Sucker Punch claims, as an actual Seattle block.
Fun Facts about InFamous: Second Son
- 11,000: Number of ‘ashbit’ particles Delsin shatters into during a single smoke dash through the air. Each particle is individually textured (including the custom jacket!), before reforming!
- 75: Number of high-resolution scanned poses of Troy Baker’s face that were needed to train our performance capture system to produce Delsin’s facial animations. Troy had 168 tracked markers placed on his face and his head mesh resulted in 22,321 separate vertices (not counting his eyes, lashes, or beanie) that were used for various in-game animations.
- 32 machines are used in the render farm that computed all the reflected/ambient lighting in the game.
- Each rain drop is considered a particle and there are over 30,000 of them.
- There are 1,024 sound variations of the smoke bolt. It will rarely sound the same twice.
- Our Adaptive Ambient System enables each district to have its own atmosphere that conforms to the time of day, type of weather, and if the DUP controls it or if Delsin has freed it.
- Over 50 individual sounds are used in a smoke orbital.
- Delsin’s head is built out of 60,000 triangles, plus 7,500 triangles for his beanie.
- We have 168 skeleton joints just for Delsin’s face.
- The blocks in our version of Seattle are 100 meters square. That’s exactly the same size as an actual Seattle block.
- During our cut scenes, each of the 20,000 vertexes on Delsin’s face is animated independently, thirty times a second.
InFamous: Second Son launches tomorrow, March 21, To find out what we thought, head through to our review.
Source: InFamous Second Son Review Support Documents