Civilization: Beyond Earth will release worldwide on PC on October 24, 2K has confirmed.
Pre-order and you'll grab access to the Exoplanets Map Pack, a free DLC that includes six custom maps "inspired by real exoplanets". What's an exoplanet? Let me Google that for you.
According to Wikipedia, an exoplanet "is a planet that does not orbit the Sun and instead orbits a different star, stellar remnant or brown dwarf". Around 1800 of them have been discovered across 1118 different planetary systems. We don't live on any of them. Yet.
The maps include:
- Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets.
- Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to our solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet's settlement are well-preserved.
- Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources.
- Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness.
- 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces.
- Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
To find out what Brett thought of Civilization: Beyond Earth when he went hands-on earlier in the year, head through to this delightful little preview.