Video Gamer is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Prices subject to change. Learn more
In a Reddit AMA earlier this year, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds creator, Brendan ‘PlayerUnknown’ Greene, mentioned that he was interested in bringing a single-player campaign to the popular Early Access title. Even though he quickly debunked this, it still created quite a few headlines.
This topic came up again at PAX Aus. When speaking to Gamespot, Greene explained that PUBG actually has lore behind it. Unfortunately, for those whose interest was just piqued, the inclusion of lore was specifically created as a means of providing the game’s artists with reference points when creating the environment. Greene said ‘there was an idea that I had for what I thought would be a pretty cool single-player [mode]’, and he’d like to explore the lore of the game somehow, but there are no plans for a PUBG single-player right now because, he says, ‘We have no resources. We have no time.’
Right now, the focus for PUBG is to bring cross-play support to the game, and Greene said that, ‘the experience is going to be the same on both platforms, we really want these players to play together, how we do that fairly is another question.’
‘It’s something we’re looking into, but right now we don’t have anything to say about it. But we would like to see it happen. But how we do that requires a bit of work.’
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is due to release on PC before the end of the year, and this will be followed by a release on Xbox One as a console exclusive. The game will also benefit from Xbox One X enhancements, so that’ll be good for those who upgrade to the powerful console following its release on November 7.