According to data released by the NPD Group for the month of August (tracked August 1 through August 28), EA's Madden NFL 11 launched with figures of 920,800 copies on Xbox 360 and 893,600 units on PS3.
"Madden NFL 11 once again made August 'Madden Month' at retail," said NPD's Anita Frazier. "Sales of this year's game were about 6 per cent higher than last year's in its debut month, but interestingly, all of the gains occurred on the PS3 platform, reflecting the impact of the hardware sales momentum on corresponding software sales."
Officially in third place is Super Mario Galaxy 2, which sold 124,600 copies, but had it qualified Blizzard's StarCraft II would have placed at No.3 with more than 300,000 copies sold.
Mafia II is new at No.4 with 124,600 units sold on Xbox 360; the PS3 game managed seventh place. Square Enix's Kane & Lynch 2 failed to make the Top 10.
1. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) - 920,800
2. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PlayStation 3) - 893,600
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) - 124,600
4. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360) - 121,600
5. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) - 110,400
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
7. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, PS3)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360)
9. NCAA Football 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360)
10. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)