Reasserts intention to continue supporting Left 4 Dead 1.
Online criticism of Left 4 Dead 2 may have been unavoidable, according to Valve’s Chet Faliszek.
“I once joked that we could put $20 in a box and charge $10 for it, and someone’s going to complain,” Faliszek told VideoGamer.com earlier this week. “And that’s just fine - that’s just the way it is.”
While chatting to the writer at an event in London, we asked Faliszek if Valve could have done anything to prevent the negative reaction that emerged from some corners of the Left 4 Dead community, following the sequel’s appearance at E3.
“We never thought, ‘We need to say that we’re going to keep updating Left 4 Dead,’ because that was always our plan,“ he said. “Briefly before that [E3] we’d already posted on our blog about the updates that were coming. We didn’t think people would think, ‘Oh wait, now they’re not going to do that stuff they talked about’. Yes, we are.”
Faliszek wondered if Valve could have done more to make clear these intentions at LA, but added that the complaints might have been inevitable.
“So, there’s that - taking the leap to do that clearly. Honestly though, I don’t know if that would have made a difference. I think there are just a lot of people who didn’t listen to that.”
Faliszek also reasserted that Valve has “no plans” to cut support for the original Left 4 Dead.
Left 4 Dead 2 is scheduled for release on November 17 for Xbox 360 and PC.