Activision's Prototype 2 was the top selling game in the US for the month of April, according to the NPD Group.
However, it was a very poor month for software sales, down considerably on April 2011. In fact, NPD's Anita Frazier revealed that "last April, the top seven titles outsold the top-selling title this year".
1. Prototype 2 (360, PS3) Activision Blizzard
2. Kinect Star Wars (360) LucusArts
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC) Activision Blizzard
4. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
5. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2) Take-Two Interactive
6. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings (360, PC) Warner Bros. Interactive
7. Mario Party 9 (Wii) Nintendo
8. Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
9. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) Ubisoft
10. MLB 12: The show (PS3, PSV) Sony
Given that we know Crysis 2 charted at No.6 in 2011 and shifted 236,000 copies, whilst NBA 2K11 charted at No.10 and moved 190,000 copies, Prototype 2 must have sold somewhere between these figures.
Xbox 360 took a 47 per cent market share of current generation console market with 236,000 units sold. There are no figures for other platforms.