Tomb Raider for PC has been optimised to run on both low end systems and top end gaming PCs, Square Enix has announced.
The PC version has been handled by long-time Crystal Dynamics partner Nixxes, which has worked with the Tomb Raider studio for over fifteen years.
Enhanced PC features include: full integration with Steamworks, increased detail tessellation, improved SSAO and post-filter effects, and very high resolution textures, shadows and cloths. Additionally, for PCs that are capable, the game will support AMD HD3D and AMD Eyefinity technologies, the latter allowing up to six simultaneous displays off a single graphics card.
The game's enhanced features on the PC version include:
- Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
- Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
- Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
- Gamepad support.
- Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
- Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
- Higher quality shadows
- High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
- Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
- Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
- LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.
- Crystal care about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
- A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.
Darrell Gallagher, studio head of Crystal Dynamics commented: "With over a decade of experience working alongside AMD and Nixxes at Crystal Dynamics alone, we had rock solid partners on board to create a superb Tomb Raider experience for PC gamers around the world. At Crystal we approach each of our projects with the sole intention of creating the best possible consumer experience for that format, and we are proud to have worked alongside two great partners who hold the very same values."
Minimum system requirements
- Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
- Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
- 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)
Recommended system requirements for PC
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 4870, nVidia GTX 480
- Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 565, Intel Core i5-750
- 4GB Memory
Tomb Raider will be released March 5 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.
Source: Press release