From the humblest of beginnings the player will strive to build lively, bustling towns in a medieval world, and by expanding the empire hope to become a legendary king or queen.
Each settler has his or her own daily routine, with actions that can be observed by the player, making it possible to get the best out of each settler. Players will have to tend to settler needs, build a flourishing economy and protect the empire against dangers.
Much of what made the previous titles in the series so popular has been retained and has been enhanced with new features based on some of the fans' wishes.
There are too many features to list here, but some of the most notable include:
- Female settlers appear for the first time in the series: Men and women fall in love with each other and marry.
- The world is divided into four climatic zones with changes of season and weather which influence expansion and resource gathering.
- All interventions by the player are reflected in the behaviour of his subjects and made transparent through the animations in the game world.
- By hiring travelling entertainers and organizing fairs, the player acts as a matchmaker by enabling male and female settlers to get to know each other.
- Missions featuring noble knights with various skills accompany the player through the epic storyline penned by Jeff Grubb.
The game will feature a single-player campaign, a freeplay mode with a selection of maps, a selection of multiplayer modes (online or LAN) and a map editor.
The Settlers: Rise Of An Empire is scheduled for release on PC in September.