SEGA has announced Total War: Rome 2 'Caesar in Gaul', the first major DLC pack for Creative Assembly's historic strategy title due to release next week.
Caesar in Gaul includes a new campaign map – an expanded map of Gaul and southern Britannia – complete with 18 provinces to conquer, alongside new playable factions, units and a new historical battle.
Inspired by Caesar's Commentarii de bello Gallico (Commentaries on the Gallic war), the DLC offers a "tighter scope in terms of time and geography" than the core game, and lets players choose between four factions – the Gallic Arverni, the Germanic Suebi, the Belgic Nervii and Rome – to use throughout the battle.
"We've released a number of DLC packs and free content updates for ROME II, but this is our most substantial so far," said creative director Mike Simpson. "We've always planned to focus more closely on some of the key conflicts of the ancient world, and Caesar’s war in Gaul is the ideal place to start.
"We've also improved the game considerably since launch, and that process continues as we move onto substantial feature and gameplay improvements."
Caesar in Gaul includes the following new content:
- New campaign map: The expanded map of Gaul and southern Britannia brings 18 provinces to conquer, fully detailed with resources, settlements, capitals, and new environmental effects.
- Greater focus on characters: Play through the campaign with faction-leading avatars such as Caesar and Vercingetorix.
- 24 turns per year & seasons: A shorter campaign timespan (58-51BC) means each in-game year is split into more turns. As the calendar changes, so do the seasons, bringing seasonal gameplay effects and stunning visual alterations.
- New mid-game challenge mechanics: Caesar in Gaul replaces ROME II’s civil war with different, conflict-appropriate mechanics. As barbarian players progress, they’ll begin to feel the mailed fist of Rome as heavy intervention forces are sent to Gaul. Likewise, Roman players will see the tribes rebelling and forming alliances.
- Compact, focussed multiplayer campaign: With a tighter geographic scope and faction-roster, 2-player campaigns are more focussed and less time-consuming than the full ROME II campaign.
- New historical battle: Surrounded and outnumbered, take on the role of Caesar as he fights the last desperate, decisive engagement of the Gallic War: the battle of Alesia.
- New Total War: ROME II playable factions: Alongside the factions playable in Caesar in Gaul, several playable factions are also unlocked in the full ROME II campaign: the Nervii, the Boii and the Galatians.
- New units: A raft of new battlefield units is unlocked for the Boii, the Galatians, the Nervii and the Gallic tribes, plus new auxiliary and mercenary units.
Caesar in Gaul will be available to download next Thursday, December 12 for £9.99.
Source: SEGA Press Release