Call of Duty: Black Ops

Call of Duty: Black Ops Review for DS

On: DSXbox 360PS3PCWii

The latest instalment in the blockbuster franchise.

Review Verdict Read Review
6Out of 10
Back to game info
Call of Duty: Black Ops screenshot
Call of Duty: Black Ops screenshot

And while the 16 campaign levels are decidedly linear, and the vehicle stages mere trigger-spamming diversions, there are lots of impressive design touches on display. It's possible to shoot foes through light cover, just as it is in "proper" BLOPS. If you get close to an enemy, you'll automatically knife them when you fire – and if you're at a distance, it's possible to throw your blade for a silent, instant kill. Levels are peppered with tiny change-ups and moments where the touchscreen is put to innovative use – wriggling free of the ropes that bind you, or positioning your squad ahead of an immanent rush of hostiles. You'll happily ignore the poor AI of your opposition, the occasional difficulty spike, or the fact that you need to tap an icon to CLIMB OVER A LOG. You'll forgive these transgressions because the developers so clearly care about their work.

But wait, what's that crippling pain spreading through your left hand? Is it some kind of Lovecraftian evil presence? The early onset of arthritis? No, you've just been playing the game for too long, again. It's a melancholy thing to complain about, and a baffling one too, because Dementium 2 (to give one example) never did this to me, despite using similar controls to BLOPSDS. The only thing I can think of is that the increased pace of the action is somehow to blame.

If you can get past the pain barrier, you'll be delighted by the sheer flood of content on offer here. Each of the 16 campaign levels can also be played in Arcade and Challenge mode: the former gives you a limited amount of lives, while the latter sets you tricky goals to complete as you play. There's also a timed assault course called Killhouse, and, best of all, a full-sized Zombies mode. This works in much the same way it does in Treyarch's bigger-boy shooters, forcing you to hold out against increasingly tricky waves of the walking dead. It feels a good deal harder than the normal Zombies mode, with tougher opponents that can kill you instantly when you make a mistake, but there's still the option to play with a friend.

Furthermore, there's also a six-person competitive multiplayer mode. I'm not going to pretend I've played this, 'cause I haven't really; I did try, but the messiness of Nintendo's online setup ultimately thwarted me (you can go ahead and jeer now, I know there's no excuse). Still, it's pretty amazing it's there at all; assuming you can find people to play with, you may well get a lot from it… provided that the rest of the game hasn't reduced your wrists to powdered bone.

And that "if" right there is the killer, isn't it? I find myself in a very difficult position at the end of this review, in that I have nothing but admiration for 90 per cent of BLOPSDS, but the remaining 10 per cent is utterly crucial. I can praise everything else until the cows come home, but if I can't honestly say that I'll play it again, I can hardly recommend it, can I? As horribly negative as it is to say, I'm not entirely convinced that an FPS on the DS is a particularly good idea. n-Space has almost pulled it off, but once upon a time I almost managed to make a chilli con carne with Quality Street in it, and that didn't make sense either.

Still, I have a certain amount of doubt in my heart, and I suspect that there are people out there who can use these controls without suffering the same painful side effects. If you've had pleasant experiences with similar offerings – or if you're some kind of weird Heroes character with extra-strong wrists – then by all means, add a couple of extra points onto the end of my score. Despite the game's many other successes, everyone else should approach this with caution.

New stuff to check out


To add your comment, please login or register

User Comments


i suppose its just one of those things where you either love it or hate it then
Posted 11:37 on 03 December 2010
Ghost_Dog's Avatar


Didn't expect a review of this.

Sounds alright though for what it is.
Posted 19:49 on 02 December 2010

Game Stats

Technical Specs
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Out of 10
Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Loads of game modes, assembled with care
  • Looks great, and sounds even better
  • Mum, my wrists hurrrrrt!
  • The controls aren't quite there
Agree? Disagree? Get Involved!
Release Date: 09/11/2010
Platforms: DS , Xbox 360 , PS3 , PC , Wii
Developer: N-Space
Publisher: Activision
Genre: First Person Shooter
Rating: PEGI 16+
Site Rank: 1,363 160
View Full Site